Friday, February 20, 2009

Clean-up Triumph

Today at work, the other teacher and I figured out how to get 10 2 and 3 year olds to clean up all the toys. And man, it ALWAYS looks like a hurricane went through the place. It's CRAZY the amount of mess a bunch of little kids can make!

Anyway. Usually, we just say "hey it's time to clean-up!" and then we end up picking up all the toys while they keep on playing. NOT working. So, today we decided to make clean-up time more "serious". We flipped the lights to get their attention, and then had them sit in a row against the wall (the only clear space in the room). I kinda felt like I was interogating a bunch of gulity suspects....but hey, it got their attention. Then, I told them it was time to clean up, and that this time, the other teacher and I are NOT going to help. If they did a good job, they were all going to get TWO (not one!) M&Ms. Well, it actually worked!!! We had to still keep some of the kids focused and give them direction, but pretty much they all actually helped clean-up. I can't beleive it atcually worked...we were shocked! But it did! YYAAYY!!!! :)
Oh the joys of working with little kids!

Seriously though...in spite of those frustrating moments, like getting them all to help clean up or dirty diapers and endless runny noses, I really do love my job. Those kids are priceless!

Favorite moment of the day: One of the the 3 year olds, Sydney was leaving with her dad while I was talkign with a parent in the hallway. As she passed me, she said "look what I got out of the prize bucket ms. ashley! An upstairs bus!".....as she showed me a little toy double-decker bus. SO CUTE!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Aww! Thats so cute! an upstairs bus.. hahaha.. haha! Wow! thats cute.

    Oh my goodness! two m&ms? not one?

    Bribes always work :P

    ReplyDelete